I became obsessed recently with making a 50’s style housecoat with a very full skirt, like this one:
And this one, which I got from EBay:
I really wanted to make one with quilted cotton like the first inspiration picture, and for a while I thought I would quilt my own cotton which sounded like a big pain in the you-know-what. Then, on a random Joann fabric run, I came across their quilted cotton section and found this amazingness!￼
I had also thought About using my various vintage patterns to draft my own pattern, but then I found this one on Etsy at a not too bad price. Worth it to have it all laid out for me!￼
So, with the perfect pattern and perfect fabric in hand, I set out to create my dream housecoat! I knew that since it was double-sided I would not have to mess with cutting interfacings – so that was nice. It did require me to wing it with the collar, but I think I did ok.
Because The fabric is quilted and has a layer of batting in between each side, it was just as much of a pain to work with as doing a regular quilt. Especially because the housecoat’s skirt itself is so big!￼
At first I was also going to make a tie instead of messing with Buttons, but the instructions had me leaving spaces open in the waist line for buttonholes. This was super easy, so I went with it. I did have to run back to the fabric store to get the buttons I wanted, as I didn’t have any in my vintage button stash.
All that work was worth it! The inside looks beautiful and it’s a gorgeous house coat to swan around the house in!